Thursday 1 May 2014

Back to work after baby: 6 months


(trying his first watermelon and whipped cream at a restaurant in St. John's)

Now that it has been 6 months since I returned to work, I wanted to write a little about what it's been like. I also wrote about my first week back and my first full month back, and my thoughts on pumping and working. Some things about the work/momma balance these days:

- Once I am at work in the morning, I think about Cohen all the time, but I never wish I was at home with him. Maybe that sounds cold. But it also goes the other way. On the days I am home with Cohen, I don't want to be at work.

- The other day, Cohen wasn't feeling too great (he just cut another tooth), and Paula texted me a picture of this little rash that he had developed on his back. Sometimes it seems like he really needs me when he is not feeling well. He wraps his little arms around my neck and puts his little face against mine. So I did wish I could race home to be with him when I found out about his little rash. But instead, I had Paula take his temperature, and update me in half an hour. He was fine, and so was I.

- I love walking in the front door to a smiling baby who is so happy to see me. There is nothing better than taking him in my arms after a long day. The stresses of the day completely disappear.

- I am so over pumping. I really want to nurse Cohen until he is one, so we can skip the formula altogether, and move on to whole milk. I pretty much have to pump in order to keep my supply and make that happen. But when I am done with that in 2.5 months, I will be pretty happy. No more carrying around my pump (or my "breastfeeding book bag", as one of the assistants calls it), no more stopping whatever I am doing midmorning to search for a good spot to pump.

- I really don't like the term "part-time". When I think of someone who works part-time, I picture a teenager who works a few evenings and weekends. I work full-time. I am a full-time stay-at-home mom 2-3 days a week, and I am a full-time dentist 2-3 days a week. That being said, I am not sure if I ever want to go back to being a full-time dentist 5 days a week. My life feels more balanced now than it ever did before baby.

- A successful work/momma balance is all about the sitter. I could never be happy to be at work if I didn't completely trust our sitter. When she leaves in the evening, Cohen sometimes grabs her face in his little hands and smiles at her. I can just see how comfortable and happy he is with her. I wouldn't be surprised if he says "Paula" before he says mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...