Monday 21 April 2014

Spelt baby biscuits

Lately I have felt like 9 month old Cohen is teething because he is always wanting to gnaw on everything, including the side of the tub, the kitchen table, the pyrex dishes he eats from, etc. I was thinking he might like a teething biscuit. We have been giving him those rice cracker things for a while, that are awesome, except I don't love that they are all individually wrapped (too much packaging!), and that they are forever getting crumpled in my huge diaper bag. 


So I thought I would try to make some type of cookie at home. I wanted something that was really hard so he would have to gnaw on it for a while before it got soft, and I wanted it to only have ingredients I use anyways.


They look pretty sad, kinda like dog treats. But. Cohen seriously loved them. He chewed on it for two hours before it started to get soft, at which point I took it from him because I am sorta paranoid about him choking.


He would not let go of that little cookie even an hour later when we went for a walk. Later, Jon confessed to me that he tried one because he was curious, and ended up eating three because he thought they were good!! They are seriously hard as a rock. So funny.

Spelt Baby Biscuits (recipe adapted from here)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
pinch salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup spelt flour + more for rolling (or whatever flour you want)

Preheat oven to 350 C
Whisk together the oil, egg, salt, sugar, vanilla.
Add the flour and mix well
Turn the dough onto a floured surface, and keep kneading more flour in until the dough is pretty dry and easy to work with
Roll the dough into a rope and form into donuts, or roll out and use cookie cutters to make shapes. I found the donut shape awesome for Cohen to grasp with his little hands
Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden, then turn the oven off and leave in there for a few hours so they will be nice and dry and hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...