Tips for beginner surfers based on my first surfing day in nosara, costa rica:
1. wear sunscreen. Even if it looks like there is no sun
2. Wear a t shirt. I never thought of this, and now have crazy board burns all over my stomach
3. Get the hugest, longest board you can find. Just easier that way.
4. Take lots of breaks. Maybe go get a beer after a while. I promise, you will be frustrated.
5. Also, my surf instructor told me to use the mantra "i am a pro surfer". This did not work for me, but give it a try if you like. He also said to be one with the board, and to stand "through" the board instead of on top of it. So you can give that a try too.
6. Always keep that board behind you if you aren't on it. That thing can and will smack you in the face. I know this from experience
7. Don't underestimate how fun it is to just lay on your board and chill.
We are having the best time in this little surf and yoga town. I feel like the ocean beat me up, but I am going back for more today. wish me luck!!