Sunday 23 February 2020

More reading: a cookbook, 2 self help books, and a political non-fiction book

I am saving at least $20/week this year by ordering all my books from the library. They email me when the books I want are ready to be picked up, and I have three weeks to read them. I feel like I discovered this huge secret money-saving life hack. Does everyone know about ordering books from the library?




Start right where you are by Sam Bennett. I liked it. She is trying to encourage you to do the work that will make you happy right away, even if it's only ten minutes a day. She uses the example of writing a book. She also assumes that the reader has read tons of other self-help books (which is really true in my case). So basically just start writing the book you want to write. Which is of course good advice, even if maybe pretty obvious. The book also mentioned a couple times to make sure you are drinking enough water. Smart.

5 Ingredients by Jamie Oliver. This cookbook made me realize how much I like the little bit of commentary that many cookbook authors include with each recipe. This book has none of that. I guess it turns out I want to know that you made these cookies when you had surprise guests over or that you made this smoothie when you only had a banana and some kale in your kitchen.

Quiet by Susan Cain: This is all about the difference between introverts and extroverts. I only had to read two pages before I was certain I am an introvert. She talked about how introverts tend to really dislike the beginning of a church service when you are encouraged to shake hands with the people around you. I truly thought everyone disliked that part of church. But maybe it's just the introverts? She also talks about "shy" kids, and how we are so pushy about forcing shy kids to break out of their shell. I was told that constantly at school when I was a kid. And it was always so annoying because I always felt so confident inside and also like I didn't need to be constantly speaking. Maybe we should leave the shy kids alone. I dunno.

This fight is our fight by Elizabeth Warren. Omg. If we lived in the states and could vote, I would be all over this candidate. I am more interested in American politics than is necessary because I listen to the Daily podcast most days. This book is about how the middle class is disappearing in the states, and how super rich people are getting more super rich. And about privilege. I found this book just so fascinating. Loved it so much more than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...