Sunday 9 February 2020

library list: a commencement speech, a memoir, and a novel




The other day at the library I had about 5 minutes to grab a few books. This is what I got:

Very good lives by J. K. Rowling
Ok, so this is not actually a book. This is a commencement speech she did for Harvard a number of years ago. So I read it in like 20 minutes. It was a great speech. She talked a little about privilege, and how anyone who is graduating from Harvard for sure for sure has it. And how failure is such a great thing, but you need to really be aware that your version of failure for your life might not be so bad when you compare it to someone living on the streets, in a country where the government recently killed your family. She used to work for Amnesty International in London, so she had specific examples of that.

The year of less by Cait Flanders
This is a blogger who got a book deal. I felt like the book was a little repetitive while not actually getting into the specifics of her life that I wanted to hear about.

The last romantics by Tara Conklin
I liked this novel. It is about four siblings who lose their dad when they are really young, and have to deal with a mom who is severely depressed. This is not a book I will be recommending to my coworkers (like this one-OMG), but I was engaged in it. Sometimes I like to have a sleeper book going while also flying through more interesting books on the side. This was my sleeper book for the last three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...