Thursday 20 February 2020

Baby shower time

These are actually pictures from two different baby showers I hosted for friends in the past 6 months. I LOVE hosting baby showers. I love prepping for them, talking about them, shopping for them. I also love that they are parties that you have at lunchtime, as opposed to nighttime (nighttime is for watching tv with jon these days). 


Now that I own the equipment needed to make these buttercream roses/peonies, I pretty much always want to make them. If you are prepared and have a couple hours without kids hanging off your leg, they really are not too hard. 







Without really realizing it, I have developed a kind of formula for baby showers.

- Favours: These are so not necessary, but I love doing them. I like to have this out of the way a week or two ahead of the shower. I sometimes do a little bag of lip balm and a mask and chocolate or something. For my sister's shower we did teeny succulents for each person. And for the most recent shower I did, I bought little makeup bags from the body shop that were filled with travel size lotions.

- Decorations: I used to love buying a few hundred balloons for parties, and making an arch with the balloons. I think balloons look amazing. But now, I just can't do it. So much waste! So now I have slowly added to my collection of tissue paper decorations, and just add to it a little at a time. Lots of the tissue paper decorations have been used for 5+ parties by now.

- Flowers: I always do at least 5 bunches of flowers. Sometimes my florist (who is also my mom :) will do a big centrepiece. Other times I will get 6 dozen tulips.

- Drinks: I usually always have mimosas and bubbly water. I do coffee and sometimes a cool cocktail or mocktail.

- Food: Really, the best parties for me are when a few people offer to bring something to eat. I try to do a lot of sandwiches and cookies and a huge cheese board. And I always order macarons. But then it's so nice when someone brings a salad, and someone else brings brownies. I always say yes when people offer to bring food.

- Games: I sometimes do these, sometimes not. If the crowd is more than 12 people, it can be hard to get a game going. But with a smaller group, it's fun to do a tasting (we did an orange juice tasting at the last baby shower), or do a little trivia game about the expecting mom. Whenever we do a game or activity, I find people love it. And I love doing prizes.

- Cake: Lately I am into making them, but in the past I have ordered really simple cakes from the grocery store and also ordered cute cake toppers from etsy. I also love to make a pavlova instead of a traditional cake. Cupcakes are cool too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...