Wednesday, 4 April 2012
3 ingredient macaroons
the other day i was about to buy j his fav store-bought, individually-wrapped macaroons. when i looked at the ingredients i realized there were only 3: coconut, honey, egg whites. i figured i could make them at home, and i did, and j loved them. they are toasty on the outside, and moist and chewy on the inside, just like the store bought ones.
1 and a half cups finely shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons honey
1. beat the egg whites on high in a super clean bowl until they get frothy, then super stiff so you could flip the bowl over and the egg whites would not move
2. beat in the honey on low speed
3. fold in the coconut, starting with one cup, then adding a little more until the mixture is wet, but not too wet
4. drop the mixture by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet with oiled parchment paper
5. place in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, but check on them every 5 minutes to make sure they are not too dark
6. when they are golden browned, take them out and take them off the parchment paper right away to cool.