Wednesday 25 March 2020

Three years of owning our own practice/Covid-19 life

This month marks three years since we bought our business. I would never have guessed in a million years that we would be at such a weird place in life, where we are not supposed to leave our house or get within 6 feet of anyone. And we aren't allowed to work. Our job creates aerosols that can be basically deadly at this point in the Covid-19 situation. The aerosols are suspended in the room for many hours, and since not all people who carry the virus are symptomatic, almost all the treatment we do could spread the virus to many people without us knowing it.

So now our entire staff of 12 people are laid off, and I walk around with what feels like a heavy weight in my chest.

These are some things I am so grateful for:

- Jon and I drive old cars, so we have no car payments.
- We live in a regular-sized house with a regular-sized mortgage payment that we qualified to defer for 3 months with the Covid-19 relief the banks are offering.
- No one in our family takes any medications, so we don't have to worry about seeing our doctor and our pharmacist right now.
- Our house is really comfortable. We just redid our bathrooms (they finished on March 13th, the day before Jon and I started self-isolating), so taking a shower is so nice.
- Our manager, who is laid off and self isolating, talks to me on the phone every day and has been explaining to me about basic clinic stuff like how to turn the server on. I feel like I am learning a whole other side of our business right now.
- Jon and I have both been doing lots of cooking and baking and we are eating really well. For example, today I cooked dried chickpeas in the instant pot, and made this with them. Then Jon used the rest for a chickpea curry recipe that we had for supper with rice. Then I roasted a ton of almonds, which we made almond butter with. And then I used that to make fat bombs. For lunch we had overnight bread with avocado. And Jon made morning glory muffins for breakfast.
- Love is Blind. We are so into it. Jon and I are devoted bachelor franchise watchers, and we are finding Love is Blind so refreshing. We like that it talks about what these couples are going to deal with in the real world, and we really love that the home visits are to their real homes, instead of the pretend homes that they use on a lot of the home visits in the bachelor.
- And of course we are super grateful for FaceTime with family.

I guess this wasn't really a reflection on what three years as business owners has been. Maybe at year four or five we will be looking back on the Covid-19 phase of life as a blip. And maybe this will change the way we do dentistry and business forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...