Monday 16 November 2020

Recent books

I am reading and reading and reading. This month I was really favouring nonfiction by women. Maybe that is what I favour all the time. The book that had the hugest effect on me this month is actually not pictured: Three women by Lisa Taddeo. 




Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur. LOVED it. One of my favourite type of book is a true story about rich people who do things that seem crazy to middle-class me. This book is so that. And it's also about breaking the cycle in parenting and not doing things that your abusive/alcoholic parents did to you. So good. 

A Man called Ove by Fredrik Backman. Meh. I read Beartown, and wasn't super into it, but this is the book that gets more attention, so I wanted to try it. I found the writing really repetitive and slow. The story is good, just really slow. 

Dear Girls by Ali Wong. I loved her Netflix specials like everyone else. And I loved this book. I was definitely not laughing out loud with this book (like with Tina Fey's Bossypants). The book is for sure more of a love letter to her husband, and I really liked learning about how they met. This was a cute and quick little memoir. 

Trick Mirror by Jia Tolentino. This book is a lot. It's the kind of book that takes a lot of energy to read because it is so dense and feels so well-researched. I found myself copying sentences out of it into my little journal because they were so true. I liked it, but was always reading it with something easier to read at the same time. 

Three Women by Lisa Taddeo. Oh wow, this book. It is the true story of three women and their sex lives. This is the main thing I learned/remembered from my own life while reading this book: Women always blame women for the bad behavior of men. Women blame themselves and they blame victims. Also, women deep deep down don't really like seeing other women happy and successful and sexually satisfied. I think this is changing right now with #metoo and #imwithher. In my own life, a man behaved badly and absolutely nothing bad happened to him. And a whole bunch of female relationships were destroyed by what the man did. I could talk about this forever. It is what keeps me up in the middle of the night. This book is such necessary reading for women alive in this time in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...