Tuesday 28 July 2020

Road trip fiction

I am forever feeling like my life is running on a theme. The theme changes all the time. These two books I read one after another were both about road trips where you don't really know where you are going. I found one at the secondhand store and Jon picked the other one up at the library for me. 


An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I loved Turtles All the Way Down and also The Fault in our Stars. My favourite thing about this one was the relationship between the main character and his best friend. The dialogue between them was so fun to read and imagine. The book made me feel like road trips are so great for creating memories, especially when you are a teenager. I need to try to remember that when my boys want to drive to Montreal when they are teens. 

The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews. So good. I loved the weirdness of the characters and the relationship between the main character and her sister, who is mentally unstable and hospitalized for the duration of the story. It made me think about my own relationship to my sister, and how unique and huge that relationship is.

I'm still reading so much. My kids are getting to the age where I can lay on the couch and read for 20 minutes while they are playing together. If reading and writing about said reading were a job (I know it is actually a job, but not really realistic for me), I would love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...