Wednesday 8 July 2020

American Dirt




American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins:

Oh my gosh. This book. I can't even believe how good this book was. I haven't read anything this good for so long. I would say the book that came the closest to being as good as this for me was Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. 

As a middle class white Canadian lady, I know about as much about the immigration issues from Mexico to the US as This American Life tells me. When I was a kid we would sometimes cross from Texas to Mexico to have lunch when we were vacationing south of our home in Killeen, Texas. I think it was really different at that time. Anyway, I feel like this book was really well-researched. The situation that immigrants fleeing violence face when they hit the American border is so horrible. Everyone should read this book, and then maybe donate some money to help immigrants seeking safety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...