Sunday 13 September 2020

An overnight in Fundy with kids

This is the year to visit all the spots in New Brunswick that we have never seen. Jon and I are lucky that our friends sometimes let us piggyback on to their day trips. They grew up visiting Fundy (they are both from the Moncton area), so they know all the cool hikes and spots to see around Fundy with kids. I know you can google a lot of this stuff, but really, I have found it hard to find really good info about local stuff. For example: the pump bike track in Fundy. I had never even heard of it. And Cohen LOVED it. It's this little dirt track that has all these small hills you ride your bike on. So cool. 


We have only done this twice, but both times my friend and I each took either lunch or supper, and were completely in charge of it. On this day I was in charge of lunch, and we did mini-quiches, pesto pasta salad, and pumpkin scones. My friend had supper, and she did chicken sandwiches and potato salad. The six kids all ate everything. I really think giving kids less choices can be better sometimes. The only thing I would do differently in the future is to buy a huge insulated cooler just for ice water. By the end of the day we were all running low on water, and the water we had was warm. I predict that we will be doing more road trips and day trips in the next few years, so investing in a nice huge insulated water thermos seems smart. 


Will is almost three, and he has never been into being carried in a backpack type thing or even riding in a stroller. So when we were doing more challenging hikes, Jon and I would just take turns being one-on-one with him. It's a lot slower, but he loved it. Sometimes on easier parts of the hikes he would ride on Jon's shoulders or mine. 



We stayed in Alma for the night after one last over supper hike with our friends. The hotel was totally fine. In the morning we walked around on the little main street in Alma. The sticky bun bakery usually has a huge line to get in, but at 8 am, we were able to stroll in and grab sticky buns, donuts, milk, and coffee. We ate back in our hotel room looking out at the ocean. Perfect breakfast. 



We didn't have a real plan, but we figured we might as well visit the hopewell rocks. The low tide was conveniently at around 10 AM. Wow, the flowerpot rocks were amazing. There was no line, so we strolled right in and did the 15 minute walk that leads to the stairs that take you down onto the ocean floor. I am so glad we did it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...