Wednesday 22 April 2020

Quarantine Reading: A memoir and a graphic novel




I have some days during the quarantine where I am so distracted by work and also the horrible news (especially the mass shooting in Nova Scotia) that I just reread the same sentence over and over again. On those days I am just lucky to get through the day, make meals for the family, and only cry in the bedroom so the boys don't see. But some days feel a little more "normal", and reading is a teeny tiny reprieve for me. When this all started I had to make a rule for myself that I don't bring my phone into our bedroom at night, because I kept checking the news as I was trying to go to sleep. So now I am back to reading at night, and sometimes for 20 minutes during the day when the boys are watching a show.

Also, I am on a quarantine/lack of employment shopping freeze, and since the libraries are closed, I am just reading whatever we have in the house. But!!! Jon and I found a couple gift cards to Indigo that were in birthday cards (we are trying not to buy actual toys for gifts anymore) to kids whose birthday parties were cancelled. So we each ordered a book. This is what we got:

For me:
Untamed by Glennon Doyle. I read Glennon's other memoir, Love Warrior, and was very into it. This was so good. Also very easy and quick to read. It's basically just a bunch of little mini-essays about various things, with the overall subject being her leaving her husband for a woman. I loved what she said about racism (that it's everywhere, and it's lame to deny that), and what she said about sex (that girls are raised to think it's gonna be uncomfortable and not great, and that's crazy!), and what she said about rules you make for yourself (you don't have to do something just because it's what you might have done in the past). I think all women should read this. I'm passing it to the doorstep of a bff tomorrow.

For Jon:
Bad Weekend by Ed Brubaker. Jon is very into graphic novels, and I read most of the ones he reads. Sometimes I love them soooo much (like Maus, of course), and sometimes I am like, huh? This one I loved. The drawings are so cool, and I am a sucker for the nice colours. The story was super cool and it had a perfect ending. Also made me want to go to the next comic-con, whenever that may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...