Wednesday 15 April 2020

Our new normal

We have fallen into a bit of a routine now that we are in our 5th week of isolation. This is what a typical day is looking like for us:

6:00 AM: Cohen gets up on his own, gets himself cereal, and watches some Netflix.
6:30 AM: Jon gets up, makes coffee, reads the news.
7:00 AM: Will and I wake up, and join Cohen and Jon for coffee (me) and cereal (Will).
8:00 AM: After smoothies or eggs and toast, Jon or I will go for a run. My favourite smoothie: tons of spinach + almond milk in the blender. Then add a frozen banana and maybe some frozen blueberries. So simple and good. 
9:00 AM: I go in to work for a few hours to answer the phone, return calls, cancel appointments. We see a minimum of 30 patients a day for cleanings alone in our clinic in normal times, so these days I spend hours per week calling and cancelling 100+ cleaning appointments each week. We are booked solid for months and months, so watching all that disappear is pretty devastating. I think about our patients oral health, and I think about our receptionists who work so hard to fill our schedules months ahead. And I think about our four hygienists who care so much about their jobs and their patients. And then I try to speak with any patient with tooth issues, call in any prescriptions, and keep meticulous notes. Doing dentistry without actually doing any dentistry is not ideal. I have a huge list of patients who need to be seen but their dental issues are not considered an emergency under the pandemic standards. 

While I am working, Jon usually does a little school with the boys. Cohen has a bunch of online things he does that his teacher recommends. And Will mostly just hangs around. Cohen also reads to Will as part of his school work. The boys are also very into lego and playmobile. 


12:00 PM: I come home and we have lunch. The boys are pretty snacky these days, so lunch is sometimes just some hummus and veggies and crackers, or maybe a salami wrap or tuna sandwich. 
1:00 PM: Jon and I have another coffee. Jon and I have made the personal decision to forgo any takeout, delivery, or drive thrus, so we are 100% doing all food, coffee, etc at home. We are still obligated to see patients for true emergencies, so we feel that we should do everything possible to stay as healthy as possible. Anyway, coffee number two, and the boys usually get a little more screen time while Jon and I chat. 






2:00 PM: We do a walk or a bike ride. Cohen is very into biking, and Will just learned how to ride his hand-me-down scooter.
3:00 PM: I start thinking about supper. Actually, I feel like I am constantly meal planning lately, because we do a grocery pickup only once every ten days or so. So by day nine we are down to a super empty fridge. I weirdly love planning the meals in a way that means we have zero waste. We probably have at least 5 meals a week made by a restaurant or my mom in a normal week. So this last month has felt like we are using our kitchen constantly. I feel like our dishwasher is always running.
4:00 PM: Jon does a bike ride on his trainer in our bedroom. He uses the Zwift app.
5:00 PM: Supper time. I've been trying to do a lot of chickpeas and lentils lately.
6:30 PM: Bathtime and reading
7:30 PM: Both boys are in bed. Will doesn't nap anymore, so he usually falls asleep super duper easily by 7:00. Cohen is allowed to read on his own for a few minutes after we read to him for half an hour.
8:00 PM: Tea and cards for Jon and I. We have been sort of trying to drink less, so tea is our thing lately. And recently we borrowed a crokinole board from my parents, so we play for a bit, then watch Netflix. Jon and I both find we are SO tired after our days with the boys. In some ways, work was less tiring.
10:30 PM: In bed, reading. Right now I am reading Untamed by Glennon Doyle. Jon is rereading graphic novels. We both really miss the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...