Thursday 4 February 2021

Library list lately and all the other stuff I've been consuming



I read so much, so my method is I order a bunch of books from the library, and also buy a bunch of books from the secondhand store. So then I have to read the library books as they become available, and leave the books I actually own for last. I can get a little bit hoarder-ish with books, and I have this fear of running out of stuff to read. Which is insane, I know.

Sober Curious by Ruby Warrington. 5/5. I have been "sober curious" since I got engaged the day before I graduated from dental school. That was the day that I realized that alcohol was going to be a complicated issue for the rest of my life. Jon and I decided to take a break from drinking the day after we graduated. My version of "not drinking" was actually just drinking way less than we had in school. And for Jon, he didn't drink for a year, and then slowly eased back into having a few beer here and there. Anyways, this book. My favourite part was about how so many people are really into wellness, like drinking special shakes, doing special workouts, avoiding certain foods, using essential oils, but still drinking. And alcohol is a poison (you can tell because it makes you sick for 1-3 days after you take it). I'm so into the sober curious movement. I am so moderate about everything, so I will probably never not drink, but I will not drink much. 

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. 2/5. This book is such a downer, and maybe a kind of accurate depiction of how some marriages can be. I haven't seen the movie but I kind of want to now. Overall the book was pretty "meh" for me. 

Birdie by Tracey Lindberg. 5/5. LOVED. Just so into this book. The main character is a shape shifter, which would normally be too sci-fi for my tastes, but it was done in such a good way. Loved all the characters and still think about them weeks later. Lots of reviewers describe the writing as lyrical, and I really get that. 

A simple favor by Darcey Bell. 4/5. Such an easy and kinda fun read. I want to watch the movie on Netflix now for sure. Some of the book is actually "blog posts," which felt cringey and addictive. 

All adults here by Emma Straub. 4/5. I liked it and it was a light, easy read. Not changing any lives, but cute. 

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. 5/5. Just amazing. The slave trade is absolutely mind blowing, and this book is just so easy to read. And also so hard to read. There is so much I don't know about slavery and also systemic racism. 

Commute by Erin Williams. 5/5. I just love a graphic novel depicting something really normal with complete honesty. This book made me feel inspired to share sexual experiences that have happened to me because I am a woman and because of alcohol. Almost. 

Living with Joy by Sanaya Roman. 4/5. Ok, this one is kinda intense. The idea is that this book is actually written by a spirit, who just told this author what to write verbatim. So it's actually written by a spirit names Orin. For real. And Orin has actually written a few other books. And what's crazy is this is not the first book I have read that was "written" by a spirit. I am so 100 for Oprah and Martha Beck, which is where I get these book recommendations. Anyway, the main thing with this book is about manifesting. Which is the same idea as that book the Secret from a while ago. So you need to imagine the things you want and ask for them and believe you will get them. I know it maybe sounds super woo-woo, but I am so into this stuff. 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. 5/5. This still holds up, and my seven-year-old was laughing so hard throughout most of the book. I really enjoyed reading it too. 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie directed by Tim Burton. 5/5. Was so close to the book, and Johnny Depp was so creepy and good. 

Charlie and the great glass elevator by Roald Dahl. 2/5. Ummmm, nope. This one got so weird and used a lot of racial stereotypes. These creepy brown alien lumps took over for a few chapters, and neither me or my seven-year-old was into it. 

The BFG by Roald Dahl. 5/5. So good! I was worried my son would be freaked out since the story starts with a giant stealing a little girl out of her bed, but he loved it as soon as we finished with that scary part. He laughed so much with this one too. 

Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers. 3/5. So maybe my seven-year-old is too young for this one. I had to bail halfway through because of the intense racial slurs that I have not heard since I lived in Texas. It was bad. And the way the dad treats the mom in the book!! I remember loving the movie with Lindsey Lohan, so maybe we will just watch that in a few years. 

Superstore. 5/5. For us, this one is kind of like Parks & Rec or VEEP. Cute and funny and it grows on you with every episode. 

The Bachelor. 4/5. For some reason we aren't as into this season as we usually are, even though we love that it's for sure the most diverse season. We were surprised we loved the La Quinta season as much as we did, but there was something to addictive about the Covid aspect that time. I think this season feels more produced, and some of the girls seem more like actresses. There seems to be less real, normal not-looking-for-fame girls. 


I own these ones and so I am saving them until I run out of library books to read:

Paper Towns by John Green. I've read so many of this author's YA books. I pretty much love them all, so I know this will be an easy good read. 

Girl with a pearl earring by Tracey Chevalier. I mean, I'm sure it will be decent?

Life of David Hockney by Catherine Cusset. This one I got fully because I liked the cover art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...