Wednesday 15 January 2020

I heart reading: A thousand names for joy




Maybe I am going to write about books I read in 2020. I read a lot. Like definitely a book a week.  My favourite is non fiction. I also love to read popular books that end up on all the lists. 

This book found me via Oprah’s podcast, like so many other books. I reserved if from the library, and finished it in less than a week. 

This book is kind of crazy. I am a huge lover of self help books (I always have been), but this was sooo different. The overall idea that I got from it is that we are all connected and we should try to live in the moment. This book felt really similar to The power of now by Eckhart Tolle. But the way the author explained it was so literal. Like she actually believes she is the same as each and every stranger she meets. And she literally loves every single person she meets. 

I love a reminder that the place you are in your life is the exact correct place you have to be. And it absolutely does not matter what happens, because there is a silver lining to every single situation. 

The author does this thing where she takes the worst thing that can happen to someone, and makes you see the silver lining. Losing a loved one is a huge example, and she makes people see that death is not horrible, even if it feels sudden and too early and unfair. 

Jon asked me if I thought he should read it after me. And I don’t know. I think this book would be mind-blowing if you are really struggling with accepting something. But it could also sound crazy, because the author basically said she kinda found joy with the help of a cockroach in 1986. 

This book is going to stick with me for a long time. I’m still thinking about it a couple days later. More books to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...